Moving an office (or couple of them) is never a simple process. The reason is that probably you are not the only person that moves – you have your employees, co-workers, etc. Furthermore, moving a business away from your current clients is also tricky. That’s why you need to be extra careful and organized about this, in order to help this process go as smoothly as possible. Since this is way different than moving house, below you will find some top tips and tricks on how to plan and organize a business move and have no headache about it.
Start on time
We don’t mean to scare you, but you really need to start this process on time – preferably months ahead. This way you will have enough time to do everything and prepare everybody, so it doesn’t become a sudden, disorderly, rushing move. Even if you are planning to launch a business, for example in Miami, take your time to plan everything ahead and write it down. Iimportanttanto to do so, since sometimes the position of the person responsible for moving can be tiring and makes you forget some details important for the move. This way, if you have a checklist in front of you, with all the things to do, people to call and expenses to pay, you will be in control and do it without any problems.
Talk to your team
Keeping your team informed about everything (well, almost everything) is the key to a smooth business move. We advise you have regular meetings discussing the progress of the move. People who work with you should be informed about the details of the move, since it affect their lives as well. Especially when conducting a long-distance move, some members of your team may have to move house or change the commute style. Furthermore, some of the team members can help you with the move, so that’s why keeping it open and clear is a good idea.
Get some help and assign the tasks
Doing everything by yourself is truly hard. Organizing a business move requires dealing with many details, so assigning a couple of tasks to others can be helpful. After you made a list of things that you need to do, ask your team members to deal with some of the tasks, and inform you about them regularly. Another point in this process is getting help from the professionals. Even though planning a short distance move is easier to conduct, hiring movers is the best advice you can get. Companies like this are experienced and will do the job quickly and effectively. However, before choosing a moving company, be sure to do the following:
- check the company online – do the research and check the company online. Go to the websites like Better Business Bureau (BBB) and see if there are any complaints about the company. You can also search for other people’s comments and reviews, that can be very helpful.
- see if the company is registered – a reliable company should be registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association and have own US DOT number that allows it to be tracked at any time.
- get the precise moving quote – with commercial moving, it is important to get a detailed moving quote. Allow the company you chose to come and see your office and give you the detailed specification of the items that need to be moved. Be sure to show them everything and ask anything you want to know.
Dynamic Movers NYC have everything you need – a professional moving company that can help you and gives their best advice on commercial moving based on their experience.
Set the budget limit
Having a clear budget limit for the move is very important. This way you will not spend more money than it is necessary, and if you make a clear costs lists, you will have the control over the expenses. That’s why you need to keep track of all the costs, no matter how small they are, and do stay organized about this.
Bonus tip – reduce the costs!
A commercial move can be pretty expensive. So, if there is a way to reduce the costs – you should take that road! When it comes to moving your office, you can save some money in several ways. First of all, do some decluttering. In every office, many things are collected over the years. Moving your office is the perfect time to sort this out. Start in advance and go through your office documents, furniture, and other items and see if everything is necessary for the new office. For the things that you cannot put in your new office, you can take a storage unit – the moving company can help you with that. Furthermore, you can sell some unnecessary things or items that need an upgrade, and buy new ones when you arrive at your new office. You can check our list of ways to sell on the internet.
Prepare your new office
When you arrive in your new office, it should be ready for your business to continue working. That’s why you need to dedicate your time to prepare it. Here are some things you should do:
- compare the floor plans – see how the floor plans of your old and your new offices are different. You may need to adjust the office plan. Also, you may need to change some furniture (it may be too big or too small) and a plane where everything will be put.
- be connected – make sure that internet and phone connections are available and working as soon as your office and your team arrives. Wasting a couple of days without the basic connection is not good for the business.
- change the address – check with the local post office about the address change. You will have to receive your mail, bills, etc. at your new address as soon as you arrive.
- let your new neighbors know you are coming – promote your business even before you arrive. Put up signs about your business coming into the new neighborhood. This way you will promote your business and maybe even get some new clients.
Go through the documents when you need to plan and organize a business move
Taking care of the electronics and furniture is important. However, documents can be the most valuable items in your office. That’s why you should take time to go through the documents and other papers and sort them out. If some of them are no longer necessary, recycle them. Others, important ones, should be stored securely in some boxes. Inside, these documents will be safe from damage and loss during the moving process.
Let everybody know you are moving
This one is very important, particularly with the long-distance move. Even though moving away from your clients seems risky, if you do it right, you’ll have no problems. Just make sure that everybody you work with is aware of your move. Entertain them to continue doing business with you. Let your clients and business partners know about the change of address, phone number, etc. If your company uses any of the social networks, use the power of it and post about the move.
Furthermore, be sure to update your website with all the necessary information; Getting new business cards is also important – print them out with your office’s updated contact information. Moving is a critical period for every office, so be prepared and let people know about it is extremely important. You can assign this task to somebody from your office. If you do this, you can keep the track of the informed people and make phone calls or send emails if necessary.
As you can see, to plan and organize a business move is a complex project. However, it doesn’t have to be so hard and dramatic if you stay organized and get along with your co-workers well. Your team needs to be on the same page about this project and understand what is important. This way, to plan and organize a business move will be a piece of cake! Good luck!